Despite the fact that there are still plenty of renovations and other chores to complete around the homestead, Meg and I packed up Winny, our Windstar, with many things and headed East.
There are a few reasons for the trip - one of which is Meg's sister Una's 60th birthday party in Barrie, Ontario. To say she is an avid Elvis fan is an understatement. She has a slew of Elvis paraphernalia on display in her home. Needless to say, the theme of the birthday bash is 'the 60s'. In the spring whilst still in Mexico, Meg and I attempted to find an Elvis pinata but were unsuccessful. I then thought that it wouldn't be too hard to make one. I had made a few papier mache objects in my youth...enough time has since passed to forget how much work it is! At first I was right into the inflated balloons, strips of newspaper, flour and water paste...making some forms for the foundation of 'the King'. It took many days, a lot of paste until eventually a rough shape began to take shape. I was beginning to have some doubts on my skills until I started to add black tissue paper to sculpt his hair and side burns. A little paint gave him a tan and the beginning of a white suit. He was emerging. Added a little glitter, an over-sized buckle and some gloss and he was done.We strapped him into the back seat of the van and hit the road. That was last Thursday.
He makes his debut at the party on Saturday. Although he is hollow, I didn't pack him full of treats. There is no way I could club him with a stick. Don't tell anyone but The King resides in Barrie!


5 comments:
You really captured the essence
of ol swivel hips.
I am not a fan of Elvis, but your
artwork is wonderful.
Maybe this is the beginning of a
new career for you... sitting on the beach in Mexico and making
pinatas for all the touristas.
Maybe not in Mexico but it could happen in BC. There is a certain sense of accomplishment when a creature evolves from the pasty globs.
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Take lots of pix of the party so we can see Una's reaction. What a great sister-in-law you are. Talented, too!
Marni, Elvis lives! You are hilarious and so talented. He is awesome!
Post a Comment